There’s a trifecta of books written by three brilliant doctors that, together, provide a roadmap for the 21st century continuum of health care: The Patient Will See You Now by Eric Topol, MD; The Digital Doctor from Robert Wachter, MD; and, Being Mortal, by Atul Gawande. Each book’s take provides a lens, through the eyes […]
If you’re meeting with a physician in the next week or two, put on your empathy hat: chances are, they are feeling burned-out. Overall 46% of physicians report they were burned out in 2014, up from just under 40% last year. Medscape’s Physician Lifestyle Report 2015 finds that at least one-half of physicians are burned-out […]
The one aspect of American health care that unites consumers and providers alike is cost, which is driving high anxiety among both providers and patients. Most of them also agree that the American health care system is on the wrong track. For patients, the anxiety is about ability to pay for and access the health care […]
The Field of Dreams works in nostalgic plotlines about baseball, but as I’ve pointed out since the advent of consumer-facing health technologies, there’s no Field of Dreams effect in health care when it comes to consumer health engagement. U.S. health consumers aren’t using the patient portals that health care providers have built as part of […]
There’s growing interest among both consumers and clinicians in people DIY’ing healthcare. Consumers are even keener than their doctors about the self-care concept, PwC’s Health Research Institute has found. Doctors who are already in value-based payment mode — participating in accountable care organizations, at-risk for reimbursement, doing population health — are earlier adopters of digital […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Doctors who write right: Gawande, Topol and Wachter put people at the center of health/care March 30, 2015
- Transparency in health care: not all consumers want to look March 24, 2015
- The Affordable Care Act As New-Business Creator March 19, 2015
- What Mavis Staples taught us about health at SXSW March 17, 2015
- News Round Up – July 20 | Dr Nick van Terheyden: […] This review of Kaiser’s myHealthMa...
- andrew Stoll: Have you ever heard of Smart Choice MRI? They are...
- Honor Spock’s Logic – Follow the Science | Dr Nick van Terheyden: […] my good Friend Jane Sarasohn-Kahn highli...
- The Affordable Care Act As New-Business Creator | Health Populi: […] consumers take on more financial risk in...