National health spending will comprise 19.3% of U.S. gross domestic product in 2023, nearly $1 in $5 of all American spending. This statistic includes the expenditure categories for health spending as defined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Office of the Actuary. The number includes hospital care, personal health care, professional services […]
During my conversation with a prominent pharma industry analyst yesterday, he observed, “As a consumer, you are self-insured until you get sick.” My brain then flashed back to a graph from the 2013 Employer Health Benefits Survey conducted annually by the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF). The chart is shown here. It illustrates the upward line indicating that […]
“The surge in HDHP enrollment is causing patients to become consumers of healthcare,” begins a report documenting the rise of patients making more payments to health providers. Patients’ payments to providers have increased 72% since 2011. And, 78% of providers mail paper statements to patients to collect what they’re owed. “HDHPs” are high-deductible health plans, […]
The Season of Healthcare Transparency – Shopping in a World of High Cost and High Variability – Part 2
Yesterday kicked off this week in Health Populi, focusing on the growing role of transparency in health care in America. Today’s post discusses the results from Change Healthcare’s latest Healthcare Transparency Index report, based on data from the fourth quarter of 2013, published in May 2014. Charges for health services — dental, medical and pharmacy […]
As Big Payors continue to shift more costs onto health consumers in the U.S., the importance of and need for transparency grows. 39% of large employers offered consumer-directed health plans (CDHPs) in 2013, and by 2016, 64% of large employers plan to offer CDHPs. These plans require members to pay first-dollar, out-of-pocket, to reach the agreed […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- Health info disconnect: most people view accessing online records important, but don’t perceive the need to do so September 15, 2014
- From comprehensive coverage to skin-in-the-game healthcare: Kaiser Family Foundation’s annual survey September 10, 2014
- $1 in $5 will go to health care in 2023 – the new health engagement is health cost engagement September 9, 2014
- Joan Rivers lessons for health and wellness: think like a Bee and Laugh September 5, 2014
- ZibdyHealth: This is a big problem. Few years back when Austral...
- From comprehensive coverage to skin-in-the-game healthcare: Kaiser Family Foundation’s annual survey | Health Populi: […] Populi’s Hot Points: As I discuss...
- $1 in $5 will go to health care in 2023 – the new health engagement is health cost engagement | Health Populi: […] cost-sharing requirements for privately-...
- $1 in $5 will go to health care in 2023 – the new health engagement is health cost engagement | Health Populi: […] a slowdown in medical spending due to la...