Returning to terra firma following last week’s convening of the 2014 annual HIMSS conference…taking some time off for family, a funeral, the Oscars, and dealing with yet another snowstorm…I now take a fresh look back at #HIMSS14 at key messages. In random order, the syntheses are: Healthcare in America has entered an era of doing […]
IBM’s data analytics engine Watson, having cut its teeth on complex health care conditions like cancer, is now entering an even more challenging space: wellness. Why is wellness more challenging? Because understanding a person’s wellness goes beyond mining data from health care claims silos in hospitals, pharmacies, and physicians’ electronic health records. Wellness happens where we […]
A growing proportion of American families are facing money problems related to health care, according to the report, Financial Burden of Medical Care: A Family Perspective, No. 142 in the NCHS Data Brief series from the CDC, published January 2014 and based on 2012 data. 1 in 4 families are dealing with some financial burden […]
If your wallets are lighter at the end of the month, you’re likely to have less access to quality food, and more likely to be admitted to the hospital if you have diabetes. The hypothesis that people with low incomes whose household budgets are spent before the end of the month have greater health inequities […]
There’s truly good news for public health about smoking: January 11th marked the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Surgeon General’s Report on Smoking and Health. That’s five decades’ worth of progress raising peoples’ awareness about the toxic impact of nicotine and chemicals embodied in cigarettes, and deleterious impacts on health and the economy. As a result, smoking […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- The digital health bubble – is it about to burst? #SXSW March 11, 2014
- Health data data everywhere – let’s human-scale it / Report from #SXSW #SXSH March 10, 2014
- Digital health is hot at South-by-Southwest #SXSH March 7, 2014
- Risk-shift: employers continue to push more risk to employees and families for health costs March 7, 2014
- Análisis de Salud Digital, Fitness y sensores portables en el SXSW de Austin | Aplicaciones Médicas Android, iPhone, iPad | Tecnología Médica y Salud |: […] re/code, The Guardian, Health Populi, [&...
- Hillary Clinton at HIMSS: An Assessment - Electronic Health Reporter: […] All of that said, if you’d like to see...
- HIMSS14 Monday Morning Quarterback – The Key Takeaways | Health Populi: […] economics in the U.S….and opportun...
- Cloud technology to propel growth in healthcare IT market By Dan Bowman | EIX System: […] a recent post to her Health Populi blog,...