Because of high premiums, only 9 percent of unemployed workers have COBRA coverage. Maintaining Health Insurance During a Recession: Likely COBRA Eligibility, a study from The Commonwealth Fund (CMWF), clarifies how COBRA is actually used by unemployed people in the U.S. CMWF calculates that: – Two of three working adults are eligible to buy into […]
Drugs are becoming a luxury product in the U.S. for a growing number of citizens. The Center for Studying Health System Change (CSHSC) found that the proportion of Americans under age 65 who are having problems paying for prescription drugs grew from 10.3% in 2003 to 13.9% in 2007. This is a 35% increase.This finding […]
150 million Americans take vitamins and other supplements every year. These people place health care issues as a top-two priority in their lives. The economy, as regular Health Populi readers know, has been Issue #1 for the majority of Americans since mid-2008. The 2008 CRN Consumer Survey on Dietary Supplements confirms this. The Council for […]
The affordability gap — that is, the difference between workers’ earnings and active employee health care costs — continues to increase. Health care costs have increased more than 150% over the past eight years, while employee wages have risen only 37%.For two decades, Towers Perrin has been tracking health costs in the U.S. On this […]
The most important elements of the economic stimulus package for health would be investing in health information technology, providing COBRA funding assistance for recently laid-off workers, and allowing unemployed Americans access to a public health insurance program. In the longer-run, getting to universal coverage while controlling costs and improving quality and efficiency should be the […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- Learning from Mr. Spock and Leonard Nimoy about living long and prospering February 27, 2015
- Most people want to go digital for health – especially the un-well February 24, 2015
- A health agenda comes to the 2015 Oscars February 23, 2015
- Employers grow wellness programs, and ramp up support for fitness tech February 18, 2015
- Adam Trainor: Interesting data, and no surprise. Guilty as charg...
- Most people want to go digital for health – especially the un-well | Health Populi: […] We’ve covered previous Makovsky di...
- Most people want to go digital for health – especially the un-well | Health Populi: […] previous Makovsky digital health surveys...
- Marc: Customer service should be a standard part of heal...