As electronic health records get a starring role in the economic stimulus package in the U.S., Americans are thinking through who to trust with their personal health data. 3 in 4 Americans trust health providers above all other “data stewards” for handling their personally identified information, according to a BBC America survey conducted by The […]
Thomson published its Top 100 Hospitals list this week, which felt like a déjà vu all over again. Didn’t I just see AARP’s top hospitals, along with similar rankings from US News and HealthGrades in recent months?Is this an embarrassment of riches? Or just more heavy-lifting for confused American health citizens?The Thomson Reuters 100 Top […]
Two of the top new products launched in 2008 were Zyrtec and alli, according to IRI in their March report, 2008 New Product Pacesetters: The Role of Innovation in a Down Economy. In fact, non-food new product introductions were more successful than food intros in 2008. IRI says this is due to shoppers “taking their […]
In 2009, the cost of health care for a 65-year old couple entering retirement is 50% more than it was in 2002, according to Fidelity Investments. The nest-egg required for retirement health is $240,000, give or take tens of thousands depending on your health risks. In just the past year, this cost increased 6.7%, from […]
This week’s New England Journal of Medicine provides something of a real-world mini-primer for everyone’s radar on electronic health records and the HITECH funding included in ARRA, the economic stimulus bill. The cautionary paragraph, offered by Mandl and Kohane in their essay, No small change for the health information economy, is: “We take it as […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- People-powered health/care – celebrating Patient Independence & Empowerment June 30, 2015
- What the SCOTUS ACA ruling means for health consumers June 29, 2015
- Digital health mainstreams at CE Week 2015 June 24, 2015
- Bridging a Commercialization and Design Chasm, StartUp Health Allies With Aurora Health Care June 23, 2015
- Greg Matthews: Jane, how much of these U.S. Costs do you suppose ...
- Jeff Benabio: Great take, Jane. The correlation between Fitbi...
- Bill Jackson: I don't really understand this point, and the dia...
- Patients Role in $1 Trillion in Annual Costs: […] estimated that about 25% of health costs...