2 in 3 Americans want the US health care system to change. Most don’t believe that change will come any time soon. In fact, most Americans don’t think they’ll see much change in American health care by the time the next-next Presidential election will be held — by 2012. Jon Berry knows buzz: he’s the […]
Americans are hungry for change in and outside of health care, but they don't expect much anytime soon
Most Americans see US health system negatively; savings and household finances pinched by health costs
Rising costs continue to change the way Americans use the health care system. That’s the tagline for the 2008 Health Confidence Survey published by the Employee Benefits Research Institute (EBRI), released October 7. Cost increases over the past year have directly changed health care consumers’ behaviors in the system. 74% of people choose generic drugs […]
Stress due to the economic downturn is causing more of us to be irritable, angry, sleepless, and self-medicating through food. And stress in the workplace is costing business $300 billion a year, according to the American Psychological Association (APA), due to the loss of productivity, absenteeism, turnover and increased medical costs. The APA […]
As the Dow dips below 10,000, one might identify a personal need for (1) a strong anti-depressant, (2) a very strong drink, or (3) a big hug. While all 3 have their places, it’s also useful to exhale (deeply, my friends), and reflect back on some history. The last time the Dow was at 10,000 […]
“When normal Americans know who the Secretary of the Treasury is, that’s notgood.”– Will Durst comedian Do Americans know who the Secretary of Health and Human Services is yet?*It’s been an intense week of on-again, off-again Congressional votes to rescue financial markets. Two remarks this week generated that Oprah lightbulb moment for me. First, I […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- Health economics in the exam room: doctors and patients discussing the costs of health care August 22, 2014
- Inflection point for telehealth in 2014 August 19, 2014
- Employers engaging in health engagement August 15, 2014
- Blurred lines: health, pharmacy, food and care August 13, 2014
- Schiffon: Hi Jane, have you seen this provocative, ironic, a...
- Consumer-Generated Data in a Big Data World: Report from the California HealthCare Foundation – GrantWatch Blog: […] doctor’s office or, more acutely, the ...
- Ron: Great information that we can use. I hope that we ...
- Kathy Mackey: Right on target Jane! Great job....