$16,771 is roughly the cost of health care for an American family of four in 2009, according to the Milliman Medical Index. If the median family income in 2008 was about $67,000, then health care costs represent about 25% of the annual household paycheck (remember, that’s gross, not net, income). As the chart illustrates, 1 […]
“I want the computer to know who I am,” is the title of a research article in the June 2009 issue of the Journal of General Internal Medicine. This is also a fair statement for what’s wrong with so much in the current state of the art in health information systems. The four authors, all […]
Them thats got shall get Them thats not shall lose So the Bible said and it still is news Mama may have, papa may have But God bless the child that’s got his own. So wrote and sang Billie Holiday in 1939. Seventy years later, you can take this classic blues tune as the anthem […]
In 2008, the U.S. government spent $700 billion on the banking bailout, known as TARP and nearly $600 billion on chronic disease.Heart disease, asthma, cancer and diabetes are among the many conditions that make up chronic disease in the U.S. Together, chronic conditions impact 45% of the population; more than 133 million Americans has at […]
Generic drug dispensing reached 2 in 3 prescriptions (64.1%) in 2008 from 59.7% in 2007. Drug trend, defined as growth in prescription drug spending, increased 3.3%. What’s driving spending up? Diabetes therapies, rheumatological drugs, seizure drugs, antiviral drugs, and cancer and transplant drugs. What’s pushing spending down? Generic drugs for lowering lipids and OTCs for […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- The Fast-Growing Consumer Digital Health Ecosystem – Health 2.0 Day 2 October 6, 2015
- The Tricky Journey From Volume To Value In Health Care – Prelude To Health 2.0 October 5, 2015
- More consumers expect a connected health experience October 2, 2015
- Insurance Should Pay For End-of-Life Conversation, Most Patients Say October 1, 2015
- Mighty Casey: While I [mostly] applaud this shift, it forces us ...
- Mighty Casey: As much as I applaud Theranos' decision to open a...
- Tim Dodge: I wrote a blog post a few years ago about the lack...
- ÿþT: ÿþI...