The sixth leading cause of death in the United States is the lack of health insurance, according to Critical Condition, a new documentary on the perils of being uninsured in the U.S. Being uninsured beats diabetes and HIV/AIDS on the Top Ten List of causes of death in America, according ot the Institute of Medicine. […]
Seniors are acting like true, Adam Smith-style Rational Economic Man and Woman when it comes to their behavior as Medicare Part D enrollees. They go for the more expensive prescription drug brands when covered by the government; once getting to the ‘donut hole,’ though, seniors opt for lower-cost generics. Medco Health discovered this in […]
Just in case you haven’t had enough bad consumer financing news of late, along comes more news about consumers’ trouble paying medical bills. In Trade-Offs Getting Tougher: Problems Paying Medical Bills Increase for U.S. Families, 2003-2007, researchers at the Center for Studying Health System Change have found that 57 million Americans had problems paying medical […]
Consumers don’t understand the language of health plans and, thus, don’t know how to use them. Market research published by Regence, which covers 3 million Blues plan enrollees in Idaho, Oregon, Utah and Washington, says that consumers face a “steep learning curve” when it comes to health insurance lingo. Regence’s study asked 961 health plan […]
“Opening up the health insurance market to more vigorous nationwide competition, as we have done over the last decade in banking, would provide more choices of innovative products less burdened by the worst excesses of state-based regulation,” writes John McCain in an article in Contingencies magazine, dated September/October 2008. His article is entitled, Better Care […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- Self-care – the role of OTCs for personal health financial management July 29, 2014
- Hyperconnected Healthcare – The Need for Cyber-Resilience July 23, 2014
- Consumer healthcare spending is up, and “fun spending” is down July 18, 2014
- Who’s Looking at You? consumer-generated data, Big Data, & health July 16, 2014
- Mark J: Add Nexium to that "gut" list too. HUGE marketin...
- CLIMATE CHANGE IS NOT THE ONLY “INCONVENIENT TRUTH” « Holsinger for House: […] or the health care industry itself, an &...
- Healthstyles: news on health & technology | HealthCetera - CHMP's Blog: […] Google and Novartis joint venture creati...
- Activation Before Engagement | Eye Care Advice: […] (PAM). Hibbard and her coauthors actuall...