A few more consumers are engaging with their health and health care system, according to Deloitte’s second survey into health care consumers in the U.S. Perhaps that’s because 9 in 10 Americans believe that health care costs are a threat to their personal financial security — regardless of whether they have health insurance or whether […]
Don’t assume that State Medicaid programs will cover the vulnerable populations this and next year. Even with the stimulus funding provided in ARRA, Governors will be hard-pressed to cover all of the growing demands for health care among citizens in their states. Governors’ budgets are severely constrained due to declining tax receipts and increasing financial […]
When citizens have more financial skin in the health care game, do they behave more like consumers — looking for and finding value-based health care? And will that behavior lower health care costs? According to 30 years of this social experiment, the jury is still out. But value-based plans may be emerging as a useful […]
“The problem with the U.S. health care market is that it doesn’t really function as a market – it leaves major consumer needs unmet, costs unchecked by competition and basic practices untouched by the productivity revolution that has transformed every other sector of the economy.” That quote isn’t from a Marxist-leaning, left-wing political operative — […]
The current economic state of the American consumer-citizen is directly impacting the fiscal health of the American hospital.As fewer patients are seeking care for hospital services, providers are struggling to make ends meet. Over 50% of hospitals had a negative total margin in the fourth quarter of 2008; the year before, 31% of hospitals had […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- People-powered health/care – celebrating Patient Independence & Empowerment June 30, 2015
- What the SCOTUS ACA ruling means for health consumers June 29, 2015
- Digital health mainstreams at CE Week 2015 June 24, 2015
- Bridging a Commercialization and Design Chasm, StartUp Health Allies With Aurora Health Care June 23, 2015
- Greg Matthews: Jane, how much of these U.S. Costs do you suppose ...
- Jeff Benabio: Great take, Jane. The correlation between Fitbi...
- Bill Jackson: I don't really understand this point, and the dia...
- Patients Role in $1 Trillion in Annual Costs: […] estimated that about 25% of health costs...