“The financial outlook for the HI trust fund is significantly less favorable than projected in last year’s annual report.” So we are told on page 16 of the 245-page 2009 Annual Report of the Boards of Trustees of the Federal Hospital Insurance and Federal Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Funds (the “Trustees Report,” in shorthand). This […]
Going broke in eight years – the recession has blown old assumptions away for health and social security
Demand for health products and services is down in the recession; thinking about value and self-care in health
What is value in health care? Every year we spend more and seem to get less, John Seng, Founder of Spectrum, told attendees of a webinar on the Spectrum Health Value Study on 12th May 2009. As we consumers spend more of our own money, we’ll be looking for greater value and “health ROI” from […]
The Hatch-Waxman Act passed in 1984 to hasten the introduction of generic competition into the pharmaceutical market. According to an analysis from IMS Health, $734 billion have been saved in the past 10 years through the use of generic pharmaceuticals. $121 billion was saved in 2008 alone, based on the IMS data, published in […]
Here’s a riddle that appeared in today’s Wall Street Journal and The New York Times:“It’s the most valuable thing on earth. All the money in the world can’t buy it. Those who have it don’t always appreciate it. Those who’ve lost it will do anything to get it back. What is it?” Readers of Health […]
Education leads to health. The link could not be clearer, based on a report from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), Reaching America’s Health Potential: A State-by-State Look at Adult Health. This report follows up RWJF’s look into children’s health published in October 2008, Reaching America’s Health Potential Starts with Healthy Children: A State-By-State Look. […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- The Fast-Growing Consumer Digital Health Ecosystem – Health 2.0 Day 2 October 6, 2015
- The Tricky Journey From Volume To Value In Health Care – Prelude To Health 2.0 October 5, 2015
- More consumers expect a connected health experience October 2, 2015
- Insurance Should Pay For End-of-Life Conversation, Most Patients Say October 1, 2015
- Mighty Casey: While I [mostly] applaud this shift, it forces us ...
- Mighty Casey: As much as I applaud Theranos' decision to open a...
- Tim Dodge: I wrote a blog post a few years ago about the lack...
- ÿþT: ÿþI...