In an era where employers and benefit plans are embracing consumer-driven health plans and health reimbursement accounts, enrollees have seen their out-of-pocket costs for health care increase. Higher cost burdens have led to many health consumers to behave as, well, consumers — self-rationing themselves off of various health services to conserve health spending. Most Americans […]
In this recession, the first health line item that Americans are eliminating from their budgets is visits to physicians. It’s clear that the economic downturn is forcing American health citizens to re-evaluate their demand for health services. Thomson Reuters’ latest survey into consumer health behavior, The Current Recession and Healthcare Consumers, examines these changed behaviors […]
This chart appeared in Sunday’s New York Times in an opinion piece called, “American Epidemics, a Brief History” by Howard Markel and Sam Potts. Markel is a professor at my alma mater, the University of Michgian School of Public Health, and Potts is a graphic designer. Their point is neatly captured in this exquisite, simple […]
Two hours’ drive north of Manhattan, it was nigh impossible for my dear friend to secure an appointment with her regular primary care doctor to treat a complicated sinus infection. Her PCP’s appointment scheduler told her she could get an appointment in five days. Not acceptable, my friend said, so she tried some alternatives, with […]
The recession is shaping a new consumer segment, coined the Downturn Generation by Information Resources (IRI). Members of the Downturn Generation are transforming the ways they shop, eat, and care for their homes and themselves. 2 in 3 consumers believe their financial condition is worse than it was one year ago, and 71% say they […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- The Fast-Growing Consumer Digital Health Ecosystem – Health 2.0 Day 2 October 6, 2015
- The Tricky Journey From Volume To Value In Health Care – Prelude To Health 2.0 October 5, 2015
- More consumers expect a connected health experience October 2, 2015
- Insurance Should Pay For End-of-Life Conversation, Most Patients Say October 1, 2015
- Mighty Casey: While I [mostly] applaud this shift, it forces us ...
- Mighty Casey: As much as I applaud Theranos' decision to open a...
- Tim Dodge: I wrote a blog post a few years ago about the lack...
- ÿþT: ÿþI...