Hospitals reported an 8% increase in uncompensated care between the third quarters of 2007 and 2008. The economic downturn in the U.S. has already had a negative impact on the hospital sector, and will continue to do so in 2009.The American Hospital Association recently surveyed members, and found that the recession has negatively impacted hospitals […]
When it comes to health information, online trumps print. Online is the #1 source for health information among 83% of consumers; print attracts only 11% of people as the go-to source for health information. Broadcast is preferred by only 5% as the primary preferred health information source. Once online, it’s health-focused websites that get the […]
As we inevitably do this time of year, we prognosticate about the new year. This time around, it’s a toughie: there are too many uncertainties that preclude us from doing a straight-line forecast for 2009, especially in health and health care.Here are some trends and wild cards to keep in mind for 2009: the year […]
Regular readers of Health Populi know that I’m an avowed foodie (and a champagne-y, too), a longtime member of Slow Food, and adherent to the locavore movement as much as possible.When I mentioned making self-created carrot/zucchini/potato latkes on Twitter on Chanukah Eve this past Sunday afternoon, I received a request for this recipe from one […]
My annual forecast for health information technology in 2009 is up on iHealthBeat, the online publication of the California HealthCare Foundation that reports on the impact of technology on health care. Industry Predictions: What Are the Drivers Shaping Health Care IT in 2009? will tell you about the driving forces shaping health information technology for […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Doctors who write right: Gawande, Topol and Wachter put people at the center of health/care March 30, 2015
- Transparency in health care: not all consumers want to look March 24, 2015
- The Affordable Care Act As New-Business Creator March 19, 2015
- What Mavis Staples taught us about health at SXSW March 17, 2015
- News Round Up – July 20 | Dr Nick van Terheyden: […] This review of Kaiser’s myHealthMa...
- andrew Stoll: Have you ever heard of Smart Choice MRI? They are...
- Honor Spock’s Logic – Follow the Science | Dr Nick van Terheyden: […] my good Friend Jane Sarasohn-Kahn highli...
- The Affordable Care Act As New-Business Creator | Health Populi: […] consumers take on more financial risk in...