When citizens have more financial skin in the health care game, do they behave more like consumers — looking for and finding value-based health care? And will that behavior lower health care costs? According to 30 years of this social experiment, the jury is still out. But value-based plans may be emerging as a useful […]
“The problem with the U.S. health care market is that it doesn’t really function as a market – it leaves major consumer needs unmet, costs unchecked by competition and basic practices untouched by the productivity revolution that has transformed every other sector of the economy.” That quote isn’t from a Marxist-leaning, left-wing political operative — […]
The current economic state of the American consumer-citizen is directly impacting the fiscal health of the American hospital.As fewer patients are seeking care for hospital services, providers are struggling to make ends meet. Over 50% of hospitals had a negative total margin in the fourth quarter of 2008; the year before, 31% of hospitals had […]
“We believe America can have high quality, affordable and accessible health care by 2012.” Who said that? If you guessed President Obama, Senator Edward Kennedy, or Hillary Clinton, you’re wrong. It’s Wal-Mart, on its Health and Wellness webpage. Wal-Mart’s got a new direct-to-physician strategy: selling electronic health records (EHRs). The world’s largest retailer, #1 on […]
2 in 3 Americans are concerned about being able to afford health care and prescription drugs. While middle-aged Americans aged 45-54 are the most concerned (76% of the cohort), even 54% of younger people between 18 and 34 years of age are worried about health care costs.HarrisInteractive/HealthDay’s latest suvey into personal health economics finds that […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- It’s My Body And I’ll Test If I Want To July 30, 2015
- Medicare Makes the Case for Outcomes, As Increasing Costs Loom July 29, 2015
- Beauty, Health and Power July 27, 2015
- Health Politics – Learning From History in Art from the Reagan/AIDS Era July 24, 2015
- Mighty Casey: As much as I applaud Theranos' decision to open a...
- Tim Dodge: I wrote a blog post a few years ago about the lack...
- ÿþT: ÿþI...
- Cancer Treatment Out of Reach even with Insurance | Catherine-Morgan.com: […] From Health Populi – The Cost of C...