“The paths of healthcare systems in many countries are increasingly unsustainable.” This judgment provides the context for a new report from IBM in its Healthcare 2015 series, Healthcare 2015 and care delivery: delivery models refined, competencies defined.“Unsustainability” in health care comes in the guises of health cost growth, quality problems and preventable errors, lack of […]
2009 will see health cost inflation of nearly 10%, according to PricewaterhouseCooper’s (PwC’s) report, Behind the Numbers: Medical Cost Trends for 2009. Medical inflation ran about 10% in 2007, as well. PwC says that since the mid-1960s, the biggest jumps in the percentage of GDP allocated to health care in the U.S. happen during […]
Would pushing broadband out to the furthest reaches of rural America fill gaps in health care? A project in Pennsylvania thinks so. ConnecttheDocs is a Pennsylvania Medical Society project that is expanding broadband to physicians who are without it. Those docs with ‘lower’ broadband might also have access to faster quality speeds. The goal: to […]
The relationship between patients and doctors is fundamentally changing. Transparency in medical records, patients’ accessibility to health information online, online social media driving patient-to-patient conversations…these are at the base of the future of healthcare. This, according to a thought-provoking report addressing the evolving nature of patients vis-à-vis physicians in the National Health Service (NHS) in […]
Nestle’s Purina has decided to expand the prominent pet food brand into pet health insurance. According to MediaPost‘s coverage of the story, the new insurance product will be called PurinaCare. It will offer a portfolio of insurance products with varied premiums and deductibles, covering “everything from routine vaccinations and flea and tick medications to major […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- Health data data everywhere – let’s human-scale it / Report from #SXSW #SXSH March 10, 2014
- Digital health is hot at South-by-Southwest #SXSH March 7, 2014
- Risk-shift: employers continue to push more risk to employees and families for health costs March 7, 2014
- Employers spending more on wellness in 2014, with growing focus on food March 4, 2014
- HIMSS14 Monday Morning Quarterback – The Key Takeaways | Health Populi: […] economics in the U.S….and opportun...
- Cloud technology to propel growth in healthcare IT market By Dan Bowman | EIX System: […] a recent post to her Health Populi blog,...
- Hillary Clinton wows the HIMSS14 crowd of 20,000+ | Health Populi: […] pleasure of experiencing Bill Clinton...
- Laura Henze Russell: Best thing to do: get healthy, so you don't need ...