The rate of growth of health spending is the single greatest threat to balancing the U.S. budget in the long term. That’s the key message in The Budget and Economic Outlook: Fiscal Years 2009 to 2019, the latest forecast from the Congressional Budget Office released on January 7, 2008. The report states that the three […]
Affordable care and better information: what Americans want from a new-and-improved US health system
Anxiety about health care costs tops American citizens’ concerns about health care in the U.S. Rich, poor, insured or un-, 2 in 3 Americans worry about the affordability of health care in America. So it follows, then, that among those without health insurance, 57% blame their uninsured state on the fact that they simply […]
Hospitals reported an 8% increase in uncompensated care between the third quarters of 2007 and 2008. The economic downturn in the U.S. has already had a negative impact on the hospital sector, and will continue to do so in 2009.The American Hospital Association recently surveyed members, and found that the recession has negatively impacted hospitals […]
When it comes to health information, online trumps print. Online is the #1 source for health information among 83% of consumers; print attracts only 11% of people as the go-to source for health information. Broadcast is preferred by only 5% as the primary preferred health information source. Once online, it’s health-focused websites that get the […]
As we inevitably do this time of year, we prognosticate about the new year. This time around, it’s a toughie: there are too many uncertainties that preclude us from doing a straight-line forecast for 2009, especially in health and health care.Here are some trends and wild cards to keep in mind for 2009: the year […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Hillary and George at HIMSS15 April 16, 2015
- Health = love. Care = love. Healthcare? Meh April 15, 2015
- Health is where we live, work, and shop…at Walgreens April 14, 2015
- “What If 1 Million Americans Asked for Medical Records on the Same Day?” April 13, 2015
- matthew holt: His administration destroyed the military, the cou...
- John Lynn: Too bad you missed it. It was insightful and ente...
- Gienna Shaw: Good for you, Jane. This was outrageous ... and ot...
- Hillary and George at HIMSS15 | Health Populi: […] you will not have a post from me as I...