Health benefit costs will increase in 2009 by just under 6%. This would be a slightly slower rate compared with the past several years, according to Mercer, the benefits consulting firm that calculated health cost growth of about 6% each year since 2005. Mercer’s finding that health benefits costs are slowing down next year echoes […]
We live in the era of sound-bites and attention-deficit (and I speak for myself as well as for my fellow citizens). That’s a bad thing for our health. Two news stories illustrate the challenge of health literacy and health outcomes: for kids, and for older adults. Parents and those who care for kids make lots […]
73.3 million Americans are enrolled in employer-sponsored health insurance. Two in 3 of these enrollees were in a plan that required them to meet an annual deductible. The average annual deductible for a single insured was $682 in 2006, and $1,300 for a family deductible.The lowest deductibles were paid by people working in state and […]
The healthworld is flat. Every day, health and health care evolve based on new technologies, learnings, and people getting smarter. Health events are among the most frequently published stories in the news. There’s so much that impacts health that isn’t health care, per se. Gas prices do impact everyday life, including health choices. And, health […]
Providing price and quality information is viewed as a Holy Grail among health plans and providers, who see transparency as the key for igniting health care consumerism. However, that Grail remains elusive, as issues of tool usefulness and consumer trust cloud the market. A Health Plan Work in Progress: Hospital-Physician Price and Quality Transparency, a […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- NephCure – a rare disease community that’s patient-powered August 27, 2014
- Understanding the patient journey – using real-world data August 25, 2014
- Health economics in the exam room: doctors and patients discussing the costs of health care August 22, 2014
- Inflection point for telehealth in 2014 August 19, 2014
- Dynamic Journey Mapping and P2P | Enabling Healthy Decisions: […] sources for analysis and insights. I t...
- Book: My Healthcare Is Killing Me | Enabling Healthy Decisions: […] Change Healthcare, you should look at th...
- Thought Leader Fridays: Aug 22nd | MedNexus: […] One of the things we take for granted: O...
- Understanding the patient journey – using real-world data | Health Populi: […] about “patient affordability”...