Peter Orszag, the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, has said that Medicare will be the long-term driver of a U.S. economic deficit. Underneath that forecast, it’s the cost of managing chronic disease for Medicare enrollees that’s the main fiscal challenge. Quality of Care, and Health Expenditures Among Medicare Beneficiaries, published in the […]
The number of people searching for prescription drug information online has tripled in five years, according to the latest insights from Manhattan Research‘s ePharma Consumer study. 90 million Americans looked for Rx information in 2008, compared with 25 million in 2003, Mark Bard, the president of Manhattan Research (MR), told a group of webinar attendees […]
Paper, Benjamin, Paper. The lowest-hanging fruit opportunity in reforming health care today is paper. Getting rid of it, that is. In their Recommndations to the Obama Administration and 111th Congress, Ingenix says that, “Administrative cost savings are win-win propositions, benefiting all stakeholders.” Health Populi’s Hot Points: As Congress continues to wrestle with what $20 billion […]
Published a few months before her death, It’s Always Something is the autobiography from the great Gilda Radner, who died of ovarian cancer 20 years ago at the age of 42. In the case of cancer, that “something” is all-too-often the case of under-insurance to cover treatment. High out-of-pocket costs for treatment, coupled with […]
Elephant Pharm, the six-year-old alternative pharmacy chain based in northern California, filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy papers two days ago.The vision of Elephant was to provide customers with both traditional medicines along with homeopathic treatments. The store’s footprint of 12,000 feet held space for both product and services. Practitioners were available in the store with whom […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- People-powered health/care – celebrating Patient Independence & Empowerment June 30, 2015
- What the SCOTUS ACA ruling means for health consumers June 29, 2015
- Digital health mainstreams at CE Week 2015 June 24, 2015
- Bridging a Commercialization and Design Chasm, StartUp Health Allies With Aurora Health Care June 23, 2015
- Greg Matthews: Jane, how much of these U.S. Costs do you suppose ...
- Jeff Benabio: Great take, Jane. The correlation between Fitbi...
- Bill Jackson: I don't really understand this point, and the dia...
- Patients Role in $1 Trillion in Annual Costs: […] estimated that about 25% of health costs...