U.S. payment systems tend to reward volume-driven rather than value-driven care. Providers respond to incentives to deliver more, and not necessarily better, care. That’s the thesis of a new report from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation that analyzes the financing of American health care delivery and provides recommendations to improve that system, rationalize spending on […]
It all started with a baby, a baby carrier, and Motrin. Oh, and an advertising agency who probably got their Mommy-messaging more than a little bit wrong. Twitter, the social networking software, helped fuel this uproar in a matter of hours. In what is to-date among the fastest viral campaigns in consumer health — […]
There’s more evidence that green = health. No, not tea, but more green space. More specifically, access to green space lessens health disparities between the wealthy and the not-so-rich in the community. Green spaces reduce the health gap between rich and poor, according to a study published in the Lancet, Effect of exposure […]
A very smart doctor told me, “there’s been a realization that the exam room is wherever the patient is.” That simple, elegant and insightful remark was offered by Dr. Jay Sanders, one of the godfathers of telehealth. I quote him here from my report published this week by the California Health Care Foundation. It’s […]
Hospitals and devices could win, and and insurers and pharmas will be squeezed: Moody's opines on health care in a post-Obama U.S.
Moody’s, the credit rating agency, offers their post-election impressions in their special comment, U.S. Healthcare Industry: Credit Implications of the U.S. Election. Barack Obama’s campaign roughed out principles for health reform across three issue areas: Access and affordable health care Cost reduction Public health. Moody’s took these as lenses over the state of health care […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- Learning from Mr. Spock and Leonard Nimoy about living long and prospering February 27, 2015
- Most people want to go digital for health – especially the un-well February 24, 2015
- A health agenda comes to the 2015 Oscars February 23, 2015
- Employers grow wellness programs, and ramp up support for fitness tech February 18, 2015
- Adam Trainor: Interesting data, and no surprise. Guilty as charg...
- Most people want to go digital for health – especially the un-well | Health Populi: […] We’ve covered previous Makovsky di...
- Most people want to go digital for health – especially the un-well | Health Populi: […] previous Makovsky digital health surveys...
- Marc: Customer service should be a standard part of heal...