Growth in spending on Medicare and Medicaid is a function of (1) the aging of the population and (2) trends in the cost of health care. The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has published an issue brief, Accounting for Sources of Projected Growth in Federal Spending on Medicare and Medicaid, which finds that health care cost […]
Welcome to your dog-eared Merck Manual on steroids. The ubiquity of mobile phones makes them ideal platforms for consumer health. Simple health messaging on a simple cell phone can help consumers comply with therapeutic regimens, like blood glucose monitoring and medication adherence. Imagine what can be done when the simple cell morphs into, say, an […]
Divided We Fail is taking a page out of the propaganda scripts of World War II and Ronald Reagan: they’re going straight to Hollywood.Divided We Fail is a health reform advocacy group that brings together parties who traditionally have broken much bread together, with each stakeholder organization archetype emphasized by me in quotes: the AARP, […]
The ROI of health care information technology isn’t uniformly positive, according to an analysis from the Congressional Budget Office titled, Evidence on the Costs and Benefits of Health Information Technology.The underlying rationale for the report, which was requested by the Senate Budget Committee, is to sort out the federal government’s role in health IT: the […]
Renenber the hair product ad for Clairol Herbal Essence shampoo that ran in the 1980s where one woman tells another, who tells another, who tells another about the merits of the shampoo? Social media behaved in just this way when women share their personal stories about allergies they developed when wearing the same style of bra. Here’s […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- The digital health bubble – is it about to burst? #SXSW March 11, 2014
- Health data data everywhere – let’s human-scale it / Report from #SXSW #SXSH March 10, 2014
- Digital health is hot at South-by-Southwest #SXSH March 7, 2014
- Risk-shift: employers continue to push more risk to employees and families for health costs March 7, 2014
- HIMSS14 Monday Morning Quarterback – The Key Takeaways | Health Populi: […] economics in the U.S….and opportun...
- Cloud technology to propel growth in healthcare IT market By Dan Bowman | EIX System: […] a recent post to her Health Populi blog,...
- Hillary Clinton wows the HIMSS14 crowd of 20,000+ | Health Populi: […] pleasure of experiencing Bill Clinton...
- Laura Henze Russell: Best thing to do: get healthy, so you don't need ...