Providing price and quality information is viewed as a Holy Grail among health plans and providers, who see transparency as the key for igniting health care consumerism. However, that Grail remains elusive, as issues of tool usefulness and consumer trust cloud the market. A Health Plan Work in Progress: Hospital-Physician Price and Quality Transparency, a […]
The lower one’s socioeconomic position, the worse the person’s health. This is the sobering finding in a landmark report published but the World Health Organization (WHO), Closing the gap in a generation: Health equity through action on the social determinants of health. While children born in Japan can live beyond 80 years, and newborns in […]
About $7 billion is spent each year on cosmetics. Another $1.5 billion is spent on breast augmentation, $1.3 billion on lipoplasty, and nearly $1 billion on abdominoplasty — aka, “tummy tucks.” Beauty At Any Cost is an important report from the YWCA. The organization has quantified the economic costs of the never-ending search for ‘beauty,’ […]
Americans trust pharmacies and drug stores a whole lot more than they do health plans, according to a survey from the Better Business Bureau and Gallup.However, the percentage of people with lots of trust in pharmacies and drug stores fell by 9 points between September 2007 and April 2008. The proportion of Americans trusting health […]
Government finances 3/4 of uncompensated health care in the U.S., according to Covering The Uninsured In 2008: Current Costs, Sources Of Payment, And Incremental Costs appears in the August 25th online edition of Health Affairs, the influential health policy publication. This analysis was done by a team from The Urban Institute and George Mason University. […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- Dr Eric Topol on the digital democratization of health care September 22, 2014
- Health info disconnect: most people view accessing online records important, but don’t perceive the need to do so September 15, 2014
- From comprehensive coverage to skin-in-the-game healthcare: Kaiser Family Foundation’s annual survey September 10, 2014
- $1 in $5 will go to health care in 2023 – the new health engagement is health cost engagement September 9, 2014
- ZibdyHealth: This is a big problem. Few years back when Austral...
- From comprehensive coverage to skin-in-the-game healthcare: Kaiser Family Foundation’s annual survey | Health Populi: […] Populi’s Hot Points: As I discuss...
- $1 in $5 will go to health care in 2023 – the new health engagement is health cost engagement | Health Populi: […] cost-sharing requirements for privately-...
- $1 in $5 will go to health care in 2023 – the new health engagement is health cost engagement | Health Populi: […] a slowdown in medical spending due to la...