The concept of the Medical Home is emerging as an antidote to America’s fragmented health care landscape. Several large employers and physicians are pushing the concept, driven by different incentives but united in the effort. Medicaid plans have become early adopters of the Medical Home, too. The Medical Home is not a new concept; pediatricians [...]
A pack of cigarettes ranges in price from a low of $3.35 in South Carolina to a high of $6.45 in New Jersey. But the real personal costs of cigarettes — per pack smoked — are 66 times greater (in the case of that smoking South Carolinian). The analysis can be found in a new [...]
79% of Americans are interested in reading their medical records, according to a recent survey. That’s a good thing, because doctors can make mistakes recording notes in medical records that can lead to unintended health consequences based on faulty data. Doctors are chatting about finding mistakes in their own patient medical records. The chat is [...]
The double-barreled news of Dennis Quaids’ twins receiving heparin doses 1,000x the prescribed dose while receiving medical treatment at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, coupled with the tragic death of Kanye West’s mother following cosmetic surgery, focuses this health care paparazzi’s lens squarely on the role of information technology in health care. The Cedars-Sinai Chief Medical Officer [...]
As costs rise, employers drop health: Mercer (with a Wal-Mart health update and a gift card from Highmark)
Employer costs for health coverage are rising twice as fast as general price increases. This is leading to more employers dropping health coverage for employees. Mercer brings us this evidence in their new health cost survey, to be published in March 2008. The consultancy found that health costs increased 6.1%, equivalent to 2006 cost increases. [...]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- As health cost increases moderate, consumers will pay more: will they seek less expensive care? June 18, 2013
- As Account-Based Health Plans Grow, Will Americans Save More in Health Accounts? June 17, 2013
- The part-time medical home: retail health clinics June 13, 2013
- The emerging economy for consumer health and wellness June 12, 2013
- The part-time medical home: retail health clinics | Retail Healthcare News: [...] Read the entire article here. [...]...
- The emerging economy for consumer health and wellness | Health Populi: [...] on wellness as a cost-bending strategy ̵...
- Davis Liu, MD: Largely predictable that consumer driven health ca...
- Consumer-directed health isn’t always so healthy | The Doctor Weighs In: [...] By Jane Sarasohn-Kahn [...]...