We’re in a recession; actually, we’ve been in one for the past year, but no official agency decided to tell us. Perhaps “they” wanted to wait until after the November ’08 Presidential election? The declaration of recession is the official news from The National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), whose mind-numbingly-titled press release, Determination […]
The concept of “cyberchondria” is not new. My first exposure to the term was through a study by Harris Interactive in 2002 which conducted a global cyberchondria study comparing health citizens online in the France, Germany, Japan and the U.S. The study defined cyberchrondriacs as “people who use the Internet for health purposes.” Harris’s poll […]
In this season of thanks, I am thankful to my wonderful parents, Chuck and Polly Sarasohn. They both had challenging end-of-life struggles — Dad in 2007, and Mom in 1979. I highlighted Dad’s unfortunate experience with an overlooked DNR order while in a congestive heart failure inpatient unit in an iHealthBeat column, Digital Diretives Could […]
Moms represent a $2.1 trillion market, according to the Marketing to Moms Coalition. “Dear Marketers, Recession is the mother of invention,” begins a full-page ad in the November 17, 2008, Advertising Age magazine. The ad promotes Cookie magazine, a monthly targeted to mothers with the tag-line, “Life. Style. Family.” I’ve thought a lot about Moms […]
Employers shifted more out-of-pocket health costs to employees in 2008 while holding benefit cost increases to about 6%, according to Mercer, the benefits consulting firm. The most striking single piece of data that came out of Mercer’s annual National Survey of Employer-Sponsored Health Plans is that the median deductible for employees enrolled in a PPO […]
About Jane & Health Populi
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist and management consultant that serves clients at the intersection of health and technology.
Her clients include all stakeholders in health, including providers, payors and plans; companies in biopharma, medical devices, financial services, technology and consumer goods; non-profits and NGOs. Jane's lens on health was best described by Dr. Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General, who says that health is where we live, work, play and pray.
California Healthcare Foundation White Papers
- Consumers blame insurance and pharma for health costs, but love their primary care doctors October 22, 2012
- Patients want online communication with doctors, and more clinicians are listening July 26, 2011
- Patients want to see the notes their doctors write about them: the power of transparency in health care October 2, 2012
- ePatients: a connected, collaborative, creating community September 30, 2010
- Hillary and George at HIMSS15 April 16, 2015
- Health = love. Care = love. Healthcare? Meh April 15, 2015
- Health is where we live, work, and shop…at Walgreens April 14, 2015
- “What If 1 Million Americans Asked for Medical Records on the Same Day?” April 13, 2015
- matthew holt: His administration destroyed the military, the cou...
- John Lynn: Too bad you missed it. It was insightful and ente...
- Gienna Shaw: Good for you, Jane. This was outrageous ... and ot...
- Hillary and George at HIMSS15 | Health Populi: […] you will not have a post from me as I...